Since 2008, the Buffalo and Erie County Greenway Fund Standing Committee has awarded approximately $30.1 million to organizations for beautification and improvement projects along the Buffalo and Erie County portion of the Greenway.
The latest round of award funding, $1.9 million, is being allocated to the following projects:
1) Buffalo Lighthouse Association, Inc.: Lighthouse Safety and Access Project – $247,236
2) Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy: Delaware Park Point of the Meadow Shelter
Enhancement Project (construction) – $225,000
3) City of Buffalo: Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Centennial Park – $400,000 (construction – lead image)
4) Buffalo Scholastic Rowing Association, Inc.: Inclusive Rowing on the Buffalo River – $314,310
5) County of Erie: Erie County Greenway Parks-Signage Implementation – $165,000
6 ) County of Erie: Isle View Enhancement Project (construction) – $500,000
The grant funding for these projects is derived from New York Power Authority (NYPA) as part of a settlement agreement. Each year, $2 million is allocated to the Buffalo and Erie County Standing Committee, as part of the 50-year federal license arrangement, which was established in 2007. The committee itself is composed of a single representative from Erie County, the City of Buffalo, Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, and NYPA.
“This Greenway funding is intended to preserve, enhance and develop the natural, historic, cultural and recreational resources in the Niagara River Greenway, which will benefit residents and visitors throughout Western New York” said Chairman Daniel Castle, appointed Erie County representative and Commissioner for Erie County Dept. of Environment & Planning. “Enhancing parkland and improving public access to the waterfront are key elements of each of these projects.”
More information on the committee can be found here.
The post 2023 Greenway Awards appeared first on Buffalo Rising.