Categories
PostNews

Federal agency called in to investigate Cobblestone fire

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A federal agency has been called in to investigate the fire in Buffalo’s Cobblestone District last week, the City of Buffalo confirmed to WIVB News 4 on Tuesday.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has been called in to investigate the cause of the blaze, at the request of the Buffalo Fire Department. The fire broke out at 110-118 South Park Avenue on the evening of June 18. Damage was estimated at $1.1 million.

Cobblestone District fire causes $1.1M in damage

The structure, which dates back to the 1800s and is one of the oldest buildings in Buffalo, will not be demolished, officials said last week.

The building’s owner, Darryl Carr, had been fighting the city in an eminent domain case. Carr wanted to redevelop the space while the city wanted to save it. Executive Director of Preservation Buffalo Niagara Bernice Radle said Carr has wanted to demolish the building for a decade. Preservationists have been trying to save the building for a decade.

The ATF, which investigates serious fires, including “acts of arson and bombings,” among other cases. It was last called into the Western New York area to investigate the March 2023 fire that killed Buffalo firefighter Jason Arno.

The bureau is expected to be on the scene within the coming days, possibly on Tuesday.

Latest Local News


Claudia Tenney facing past foe in Republican primary





Federal agency called in to investigate Cobblestone fire





Blessed Sacrament announces counterproposal to diocese





Monks walking from Florida to Niagara Falls reach WNY





Horizon Health sees new trends amid opioid epidemic




Aidan Joly joined the News 4 staff in 2022. He is a graduate of Canisius College. You can see more of his work here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *