Multiple people hospitalized after Holiday Twin Rinks gas leak

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. (WIVB) — Multiple people were hospitalized after a gas leak at a local ice skating rink Wednesday.

At approximately 6:30 p.m., Cheektowaga police and Forks Fire Department responded to Holiday Twin Rinks for reports of a strange smell and children presenting symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.

Forks fire crews confirmed that there were “extremely” high levels of carbon monoxide and the building was immediately evacuated, according to police.

Multiple ambulances responded to the scene to evaluate and transport people to surrounding hospitals. Cheektowaga police told WIVB News 4 that at least two children and one adult were hospitalized.

The rink announced on Facebook that they will be closed on Dec. 28 while the leak is repaired.

Police said the building is still being ventilated by the fire department and state and county officials have been made aware of the situation.

The source of the leak is being investigated by National Fuel.

This is a developing story, check back for updates.

Latest Local News

Multiple people hospitalized after ice rink gas leak

Woman killed after being struck by vehicle on Walden Avenue

Community rallies for family after Christmas house fire

Frank Young’s Sports Arena damaged in crash

Explore & More has “STEM”-tastic fun for kids on break

Emily Miller is a digital producer who has been part of the News 4 team since 2022. See more of her work here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *